Thursday, May 10, 2012

Tulum, Mexico; Day 18

Today was kinda a rough day.. last night I slept horribly, probably because the sea breeze makes everything wet around here so its just damp in our room. And it was hot. And my sunburn was killing me! I kept waking up and couldn't stay asleep so.. I just didn't sleep well. When we woke up and got ready, we went to breakfast here at the hotel.. I had pancakes :) and then our tour directors sat us all down for a talk.
I guess some kids were out on the beach past curfew (at BYUI its 12 so its kindof just assumed its the same here, although it should prob be earlier) last night so they were upset about that.. and they have told us from the beginning that there's no dating allowed during the tour, I guess they felt that we (as a group) have gotten to friendly and relaxed with each other and needed to be reminded. They named names! There's one couple that is with us that have been together for nearly a year and they've been so good, they never hold hands or hug or anything to stay within the rules. They always sit next to each other on the bus, but now the directors have asked them to find new seats. I think it's a little unfair, its not like the rest of us are using them as an excuse to break the rules or pair off because they 'get to', or that we see them as being exceptions. Their situation is totally different. I feel kinda bothered too because we're all adults and we should be treated like it.. but I guess if we can't act like it then obviously we won't be treated as such.  But they're being so mature. I don't see anything wrong with trying to enjoy the trip with your best friend.
Anyways I recognize that its all for the betterment of the group and there's only 6 more days and they'll live.. we all will.
Today we went to the ruins. After the "come to Jesus" speech about rules, many pole were either given the option or told to stay behind because their sunburns were so bad. I knew I should stay behind but I went anyways. Half an hour into the trip I was DYING. Couldn't listen to the guide, all I wanted was shade and cold water because just being in the sun was hurting so bad. I enjoyed what of the ruins I saw, its a small place. It was super packed with tourists though, it was actually kindof bothersome... fighting to take pictures everywhere we stopped, and actually we were probably the most clothed people there, most people were walking around in their bathing suits. We did she a few LDS people though, that was fun :)
After the ruins we came back, or maybe -- yes, actually we went to a grocery store again to get food. And then we came back. I hung out with Brother Strickland in the SHADE on the beach and talked birds and boys and stuff haha. In the late afternoon I finally went in the water but I wore a shirt. Lots of people stayed back and didnt go to the beach because they got burned so bad. I was only in for a little while. The sand is so fine here, it sticks to everything!!
We went to dinner at the same place as last night. On the way there we stopped at the grocery store again because one girl bought Mexican vanilla to take home for her mom.. spent almost 200 pesos on a bottle for her and then realized after we left that it was so expensive because it was imported from the USA. LOL. So we went back to exchange that, also because there was a guy who's birthday was today.. we got cake and ice cream and ate it after dinner at the restaurant. It was like a chocolate tres leches cake, so good! I love tres leches.
Im sitting on the porch writing, its 10:30 pm and a bunch of girls are running up from the beach saying that they just saw a huge sea turtle come up from the water and make a nest and lay eggs! I wanted to see one while we were here at Tulum, there was an info sheet about it on our bedside table when we checked in, it got me excited. Im bummed I missed it haha.
Tomorrow we cross the border to Belize. It'll be interesting, I have two non-rolling duffels, a backpack, a jug of maybe 3 liters of water and a gnarly sunburn. Lots of stuff for one person.. should have taken my rolling suitcase lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment