Monday, May 14, 2012

Caye Caulker, Belize; Day 22

Today the sun came up so early, I think the first time I woke up it was maybe 5am and the sun was already up.. it sets early too, its dark by 7. It must have something to do with being closer to the equator and the tilt of the Earth.
We woke up, got ready and headed to breakfast on the other side of the island. It took maybe 10 minutes to walk there, so you have an idea of how small the island is. I ordered a breakfast burrito instead of pancakes, I figured I should switch it ip since I've been having pancakes the majority of the trip... the tortillas in Belize are thick like flatbread tortillas but they're airy-er. The burrito was fine, it had bacon.. I don't like bacon... shoulda gotten the pancakes, they were served with fruit!
During/after breakfast we were fitted with fins and masks for snorkeling! We got ready, separated into chicken and fish boats and headed out at about 1030am. I had fish. We had at least a 30 minute ride out to the reef. The sky was really dark and it was windy,  it looked like it was going to be pretty stormy.. I was kinda nervous because I didn't want to get caught in a bad storm.
when we were on our boat out, it started raining indeed! At first it was just sprinkling but then it started pouring! And it hurt, I thought it was hailing! We all started laughing because it was not perfect weather for snorkeling. It was like the "Perfect Storm" movie. The guides put a plastic tarp over us and we kept going. After maybe about 10 minutes, he rain stopped, it was sunny, and we were at our first stop, the coral garden.
We got in and swarm around for quite a while, there was some good coral to look at and lots of fish. I did notice that a lot of the coral was bleached - evidence of temperature change. They had a hurricane here not too long ago so maybe that's why. After that we got in the boat and our guides Patrick and Chilo (hot rasta guys) had lunch ready. There was rice with vegetables, pasta salad, and fish, that was prepared with tomatoes and green bell pepper. It was good! We had pineapple squash (juice) too.
We sailed to the next stop, shark ray alley. When we got there, Patrick threw in some shrimp and all the tuna were jumping up out of the water. It was crazy! We got in and the first thing I saw, besides the school of tuna swimming all around me, was the HUGEST sting ray I've ever seen in my life, in real life or on tv. It was at least 6 feet in diameter I swear! Not counting it's tail/stinger. I hope the pictures I got are good. We also saw nurse sharks. I got to pet one that Patrick caught. It was really cool to just swim with the sharks and fish and rays. They would get so close!
After that we had pineapple and watermelon. It was nice to eat after every dive because it got the salty taste from our mouths. We had another long "drive" to the last stop, Hol Chan Marine Reserve. This time we had to be divided into groups and stay with our guide. I went in Chilo's group. We saw sea turtles, one of which got really close to me and I got to watch it go up for air and go back down, that was neat! We got to see a green Moray eel, like in The Little Mermaid. If you clap hey come out of the dark places in the coral. We saw so many fish, some more rays, and we saw a cool cave, Chilo and one of the guys in my group went down it in but it was 15 feet down and I didn't want to die so I didn't push it. It was so cool to be down there!
We had ceviche <3 and chips after that dive! And pineapple juice and we sailed (literally with sails) back to the Caye. It was so awesome. The ceviche was good but I like mine better ;) lol. It was missing something. It was past 5 by the time we got back so I ran back to the hotel, showered and then went to dinner.
For dinner we had this awesome buffet, they had fish like the fish we had at lunch, also chicken that tasted like it had taco seasoning or something on it, mashed potatoes, rice and beans (the mixed kind), cole slaw, bread and watermelon. It was so yummyy!
After dinner I got some homemade chunky monkey ice cream and bought a few more things for souveniers for family and friends. But Now I'm almost out of belize dollars - luckily they take USD here, (all my change is in USD, but it's worth double here so that's good I guess!)
It's been really nice on Caye Caulker, the attitude is so relaxed, everyone is very much about the "Go Slow" personality, which is the town motto, they're also huge about Bob Marley and weed and just cchhiiilllin I guess but that's cool haha. Reminds me of some friends back home lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment