Thursday, May 3, 2012

Palenque, Mexico; Day 11

Today we woke up, had a small breakfast, and headed out for a short bus ride to Palenque Ruins.. this is like the big daddy of Maya ruins so I was excited to go! It was sooooooooo hot and humid. Haha I can't get over how sweaty we all are! I don't think I've ever felt anything like that before. We had three guides, Ernesto, Ernesto and Belen. The last two spoke English pretty well. The english speaking Ernesto told us some really great info that I hadn't learned in my class with Brother Raish. He also talked to us about why Palenque could have collapsed as a city. All these ruins are covered with stucco, but in order to make the stucco they had to have had lots of rock and have it go through this process with fire.. basically it took alot of wood and Ernesto said that they had to have cut down alot of the rainforest to make the city. No forest means the clouds and rain have no way to stop, they'll pass right over the city. No rain means no water for the crops which means no food.. no food means you have problems. I'm no meteorologist but it makes sense maybe?
We explored the ruins, sweated like DOGS, or PIGS, or some other nasty animal that sweats a ALOT. then we made a walk through the jungle! We saw more (actually alot) of rocks and ruins that are completely under the jungle. There is so much left unexcavated because the government wont fund a place that is so far from an airport/beach because its less of a tourist attraction than Tulum or Cancun or other places. Its really quite sad because Im sure theres really awesome stuff here! We continued and made it to a waterfall. It was so refreshing to even stick my feet in and relax. Some of the students full on went under the waterfall and got soaked.. I thought about it but I knew we had to be dry before we got on the bus and hot, wet clothes didnt sound fun to me.
I have "earned" the nickname 'Trouble' by Brother and Sister Riggins :) they call me that because I'm the exact opposite haha.. I am always on time, I don't go astray, listening, and they said they don't have to worry about me but they wonder if I'm even enjoying the trip lol. Of course I am though! I love them, they're so great.
We came back to town and went to a supermarket to buy lunches for the next few days. My plan was to do PB&Js for the next week for lunches but its basically impossible to find peanut butter in Mexico. They don't really eat it here I guess. Super depressing :( haha. Bro and Sis Riggins gave me 1/3 of a jar they had though so that'll last me a little while.
Tonight we had our Pearl of Great Price class. It was really good, we focused on Moses 7 and 8. One of my classmates commented on how important it was to her to love others because it pains the Lord when we don't. All we are supposed to do is two things, really. Love the lord and keep the commandments, its simple. It made me think of how grateful I am for the gospel and how I hope I can have a greater love for those around me.
D&C 50:23
That which doth not edify is not from God, and is darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment