Sunday, May 13, 2012

Caye Caulker, Belize; Day 21

Today we met at 8am, loaded up the bus and drove maybe 10 minutes to church in Orange Walk. The church had 20 foot fences all around it, it was crazy! They also had the name of the church in Spanish and english, which was odd but only prepared us for what would happen in sacrament meeting.. the ward we visited was a very small branch, we made up probably 95% of the ward's attendance today. The sacrament prayers were given in Spanish, both english and Spanish hymns were sung and each talk was translated to Spanish. They speak english alot here but they have to cater to the Spanish speakers here too because its such a small branch.
After church we had a 90 minute drive in our ghettobus with Frank to the port in Belize City. From there we took a 45 minute boat to Caye Caulker. The island is pretty awesome! The culture here is really interesting. The island is really small, you can see either end of it if you stand in the right place. There seems to be a lot of restaurants and bars and tourist shops, but a lot of local housing as well. I wonder what it would be like to live here!
We went to dinner right on the beach, I had a mango fish sandwich, I think it was tilapia. It was in a mango lime sauce and was with french fries, it was pretty good.
Our hotel is right on the beach too, its kindof awesome. Some of my tourmates went down to the dock and found these huge conch shells! Ill have to go down tomorrow  and see if I can find some shells.
Yesterday at Lamanai I got eaten bad by bugs, even though I waa wearing 100% deet bug spray and pants. I have nasty bites up to my knees. Brother Stricklan told me to put nail polish over the bites to keep the eggs from growing.. eeeeeew! They itch like crazy.
Something else cool about Cayw Caulker is theres not many cars, most people drive golf carts.
At dinner, we were requires to write a poem or thought or something and share it for everyone. Afterwards they collected everything and said they'd make a poem book. I hope they do, they were all excellent and Id love to have a copy of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment