Saturday, May 12, 2012

Orange Walk, Belize; Day 20

Wow. So today is such a blur I'm going to have to think about everything that happened! Haha. We woke up and met for breakfast at 630am. Our tour guide/travel agent guy Eric brought us breakfast, orange juice and ham sandwiches and bananas. It was weird to eat sandwiches for breakfast but they were good. We headed out to the Lamanai ruins after that. It was a short drive in our bus with Frank to the boat docks where we loaded HUGE coolers with our mystery lunch in it, provided by our ruin tour guide, Isidro. He was so cool! The thing I'm loving about Belize is the culture, they speak english but many of them speak Creole, and talk like they're Jamaican, and they're black! Its awesome, so different from Mexico yet we are still so close.
Our boat ride to Lamanai was great! The boats were really nice, we could have skiied behind them! He showed us lots of wildlife, there are manatees in the river but we didn't see any.. lots of birds and a couple crocs. We saw a Mennonite village! People who were kicked out of Chihuahua for their religion and now settled here. They are huge agriculturalists and drive horse and buggies.. they aren't allowed to own land, I think because they are citizens of Mexico, but they get like 150 year leases on their properties. That was cool but I feel bad for them because they are such spectacles for people taking the river tour, but they're just people!
When we reached Lamanai, we got off and headed up. We only got to see maybe 3 temples, the place is small and not too excavated, because they're trying to preserve it. They even put fiberglass on top of the masks at the main temple to protect it from human touch.
I noticed too today that the weather here is so nice, not nearly as hot or humid as it was at Palenque and those other places.. so grateful!
I forgot to mention that when we were on our boat ride, there was a baby lizard on the boat and it wad jumping around and crawling over people, it was so fast! It jumped and perched itself on my knee and then just sat, staring at me! Haha I was so scared it was going to jump in my face.. it finally jumped away but I got a good picture.
The lunch that Isidro brought us was AWESOME! Juices to drink, and then chicken in some sweet sauce, salad, coleslaw, watermelon and fried plantains.. so yummy! Oh and beans and rice, mixed together.. because rice and beans is separate, you have to know that if you order in Belize!
After lunch we had about a 45 min boat ride back and came back to the hotel, by then it was about 330.. I had Pearl of Great Price and Capstone class for a couple hours and then at 730 we had dinner. Before that though a few of us went to the convenience store to get snacks for tomorrows lunch/boat ride to Caye Caulker, and I picked up a last gift. :)
On our way back to the hotel I could hear music coming from our pool area, we were having a BBQ put on by Eric.. he totally was spoiling us! He was going to DJ too. I told everyone "we're hahvin a danz par-ty!.. can't chu hea the muuusic, mahn?" In my best Belize accent. Bro Strickland said I got it good :) haha. Eric fed us BBQ chicken, Belize style potato salad, rolls, baked beans and orange juice (its this bottled OJ, I don't know what it is but its some orange drink and its good!) It was all so yummy! He also had homemade vanilla ice cream for dessert. Incredible, right? I think we can keep this guy.
So we had a dance party/pool party, after a while I came up to my room and did some homework and crashed. Tomorrow we go to church and head to the island of Caye Caulker! Caye is pronounced Key, like the Florida Keys!

No comments:

Post a Comment